What Is FUE And How It Varies From The Strip Method?
If you see your hair thinning for years, you might feel defeated. Losing hair can change the way you think about yourself, and can change the way other people see you. The good news is that you need not stop yourself from hat shopping. Hair transplants help you to sip from the fountain of youth and return your hair locks.
Hair transplantation is a standard procedure for people who suffer from baldness and want to have hair that looks natural on the scalp. You must have thought about having a hair transplant, but maybe you have a lot of confusion about which method is better FUE or FUT. Don’t worry; you are in the right blog to know the answers to all your questions. Let’s look at FUE vs. FUT.
There are two types of hair transplant operations: Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) and Follicular Transplantation (FUT). The transplant process is the main difference between the two methods. The traditional way of doing hair transplantation is called the Follicular Unit Transplant (FUT) or strip method. The more modern and popular technique is called the Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE). Here in this article, you will find everything you need to know about each procedure and the benefits of FUE hair transplantation and how it differs from the strip method provided by Cyber HairsureClinic.
Difference Between FUE and FUT:
Although the FUE method is slowly replacing the FUT technique, both of these methods are widely used in hair restoration operations. Both hair transplant procedures start the same. First, your scalp is thoroughly cleaned. A small needle is then used to turn off the part of your scalp under local anaesthesia.
Here’s the difference …
The two main methods of hair transplantation are the Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT) or strip method and the Follicular Unit Excision (FUE) or follicular unit extraction. Both are effective hair recovery techniques with great success. What is the difference between them? Read on to know….
What is a follicular unit transplant FUT?
This form of hair transplantation is more traditional and popular. FUT, also known as the “strip method,” which involves removing strips or groups of hair follicles from the back of the scalp or from areas where there are lots of hair (donor area). These pieces are then carefully placed in circular incisions in the scalp’s area, which is affected by hair loss to replace the natural growth of the hair (recipient area).
What is follicular unit extraction or FUE?
In contrast to FUT, the FUE procedure involves collecting individual follicles from areas with more hair (donor area)and inserting individual follicles into the scalp where hair loss has occurred (recipient area). This is a relatively new and revolutionary hair transplant procedure that is gaining popularity because it has the same success but does not involve removing strips from hair follicles.
FUT Hair Transplant Procedure:
- FUT (Follicular Unit Transplantation) is a sophisticated technique that mimics hair growth patterns and is ideal for patients with large bald on their heads.
- With this technique, the entire strip is removed from the donor area, where there is a large amount of hair, hair loss is lacking, and hair growth is still dense. The donor area where the strip is removed is then stitched, leaving a linear scar on the scalp.
- This linear strip, which contains hair follicles, is then divided into grafts consisting of one or two follicles. This follicular unit contains sebaceous glands (secrets oils), nerves, small muscles, and fine hair, called vellus hair.
- Small incisions are made in the bald area on the scalp, also known as the recipient area. Thousands of follicular grafts are placed in one session.
FUE Hair Transplant procedure:
- FUE is the opposite of a FUT hair transplant procedure. With this method, the doctor extracts one by one follicular unit of the hair from the donor area.
- Tiny pricks as incisions are made around the hair follicles before extraction by using a small microneedle.
- Each unit contains one to four hairs. These groups are called a follicular unit graft.
- The graft is then transplanted into the bald area of the patient’s head.
- Therefore, with this method, the surgeon does not make a long linear incision in the donor area, as is the case with the FUT procedure.
- This method is also recommended for patients who have a tight scalp or who have been through a strip or FUT method. But with little or no success.
FUE vs. FUT: How FUE differs from strip method:
|Donor Area & Scarring||It leaves a narrow linear scar on the back of the head||Micro scars that look like tiny dots and are usually not visible to the naked eye|
|Survival Rate of Grafts||Extracted grafts are healthier and can survive better||Extracted grafts can be thinner with a slightly lower survival rate|
|Grafts Extraction||One strip of donor’s hair is removed||Individual follicular grafts were extracted|
|Number of Grafts & Density||Up to 4,000 grafts are collected in one session||Up to 2000 grafts are collected in one session|
Swelling in transplantation area
The donor area does not have to be shaved
Requires suture removal
Swelling in the transplant area
Requires the donor area to be shaved
No suture removal
|Cost||Less when compared to FUE||FUE is rather expensive compared to FUT|
|Recommended||Recommend for patients with half-inch hair or longer||Recommended patients with short hairstyles, and seek a less invasive procedure|
|Time of surgery||5-6 hours of surgery||Longer surgery period|
|Rest time||Patients need to rest for 10-15 days because of the high risk of infection with the strip method, especially in the donor area. Sutures are removed after ten days.||Requires rest for 2 to 3 days after the surgery|
FUT or FUE?
This can depend on many different factors and must be discussed with experienced and certified surgeon advice who has a high success rate in hair transplantation for consultation and examination. Based on your medical history and the severity of your illness, you and your doctor can make the best decision, considering your specific needs.
In the end, the results are comparable for both, because the collection and implantation of the graft and their survival rates depend very much on the expertise and experience of the doctor performing the procedure. Both FUE and strip are excellent methods for getting hair restoration grafts. Here at Cyber HairsureClinic, we have highly qualified and routinely perform both techniques.
We hope you have received all the information about the FUT and FUE methods for hair transplants in detail. All hair transplants require technical skills but also a certain level of expertise. The surgeon must pay attention to the angle, density, and position of the graft as well as the patient’s appearance, the shape of the face and skull, and general appearance. This applies equally regardless of the type of procedure.
Cyber HairsureClinic has been recognized as one of the world’s leading hair restoration clinics. We offer procedures that give everyone a natural look and hair transplant that would last a lifetime. We have a success rate of performing both FUT and FUE hair transplant procedures.
You can always contact Cyber HairsureClinic hair transplant surgeon if you are still worried about hair transplants. Don’t worry; you are in safe hands. You can contact us at 040 49540202 / 8331020202. Our support team will be happy to answer all your questions.