The monsoon has finally arrived after a long hot summer. The rainy season is quite refreshing and makes us feel alive. Moreover, it brings us abundant relief from the searing hot weather of summer. We all adore rain, but with the increased humidity levels in this...
Reason For Hair Fall With Dandruff In Summer
Dandruff is a problem that affects 30-95% of the world’s population. It is also known as pityriasis capitis, and this fairly common scalp condition affects people between 15 and 50. Dandruff and itching are cosmetic concerns, especially since dandruff can be seen on dark hair. Many people believe that there is a link between dandruff and hair loss. This article will explain more about this.
Almost every hair type is prone to dandruff. Dandruff manifests as white flakes that fall off your scalp and build upon your shoulders. Although common, dandruff can get worse over time. It can also cause scalp inflammation, persistent itching, and scratching. But does it also cause hair loss? If so, what can you do? In this post, we discuss the causes of dandruff and its relation to hair loss, if any. We have also listed some home remedies for dandruff and hair related problems. Let us See.
Does dandruff cause hair loss?
No, dandruff does not directly cause hair loss, and dandruff on the scalp does not affect the amount of hair you lose. However, it often causes irritation and itching of the scalp, which can become a bad habit of constantly scratching. Scratches damage hair follicles and can lead to increased hair loss due to hair breakage.
In addition to physical factors, the inflammation that occurs due to fungal elements in dandruff can weaken the hair follicles, leading to hair loss. Studies show that dandruff precedes or accompanies telogen effluvium and can worsen androgenetic alopecia.
What causes dandruff?
Mild dandruff: Dry scalp or constant stress can lead to overgrowth of Malassezia fungus (which causes dandruff). Another possible cause of dandruff is an unhealthy diet. Mild dandruff can also occur if your scalp is allergic to certain hair products irritating in the air or even to ultraviolet rays.
Severe dandruff: Severe cases of dandruff can be caused by seborrheic dermatitis. This medical condition is characterized by chronic inflammation of the skin caused by the fungal invasion and hormonal changes. This fungus (Malassezia furfur) lives on the scalp and feeds on the scalp’s sebum. Dandruff occurs when this sebum is overproduced or when fungus grows. This dandruff case often runs in families.
Severe cases of dandruff (and associated hair loss) require a medical diagnosis.
What Conditions Can Cause Dandruff and Hair Loss?
- Androgenic alopecia: People with androgenic alopecia (baldness in men or women) may experience more hair loss due to dandruff.
- Scalp psoriasis: This autoimmune disease causes excessive growth of scalp cells. It also causes thickened plaques that are red with silver-white scales.
- Worms in scalp rings: This fungal infection is characterized by itching, dry dandruff, and hair loss.
- Seborrheic dermatitis: It causes oily, itchy, irritated skin and scaly scalp.
Hair Loss and Dandruff – The Relationship:
Dandruff may not be directly related to hair loss, but some symptoms can weaken the roots or hair shaft and increase hair loss. Some links between dandruff and hair loss are as follows:
- The irritation and inflammation due to dandruff make the scalp flaky and itchy. These symptoms cause the urge to scratch the scalp, damaging the follicles and causing hair loss.
- When dandruff is acute, it can turn into plaque that damages and destroys hair follicles. Chronic dandruff can lead to hair loss.
- If dandruff is caused by Malassezia fungus overgrowing on the scalp, hair loss is most likely. Yeast infection severely weakens the hair roots due to inflammation and harms the overall health of your hair. It can act as a trigger for hair loss and hair separation.
How to reduce hair loss and dandruff?
Combining medical care and preventive tips often solves dandruff and hair loss problems. Medical procedures can help treat infections, stop dandruff’s growth, and reduce hair loss.
Top 3 Treatments for Dandruff and Hair Loss:
Dandruff that accompanies hair loss can be annoying. Fortunately, both conditions can be treated with an accurate diagnosis by an experienced dermatologist. He can examine your scalp to determine the cause and recommend appropriate treatment options.
The following are commonly prescribed treatments to get rid of dandruff and control hair loss:
- Anti-Dandruff Shampoo – This shampoo is a formulation containing anti-fungal and keratolytic substances such as zinc pyrithione, ciclopirox, tar, salicylic acid and ketoconazole and others. Using this shampoo will help reduce the growth of fungus, itching, and inflammation that accompanies dandruff.
- Topical steroids – In certain cases, a dermatologist may recommend short-term use of topical steroids. These medications can be available as topical lotions and anti-dandruff shampoos. It is recommended that you only use this formulation if your dermatologist has prescribed it.
- Tar Shampoo – Coal tar shampoo with or without a combination of an antifungal agent or salicylic acid helps with severe dandruff.
How to Prevent Hair Loss and Dandruff
The results of hair and dandruff treatment will not last without proper scalp care and hygiene. However, by following these preventive tips, you can keep dandruff at bay and restore lost hair:
- Incorporating special nutrients such as zinc, omega-3 fatty acids, and lots of vitamins into your diet will help reduce dandruff and limit hair loss. Check with your dermatologist before adding any supplements to your diet.
- Wash your hair 2-3 times a week to fight dandruff. Use a dermatologically approved shampoo.
- Stress and environmental factors like humidity and climate change can cause dandruff in some cases. Choose holistic methods to reduce stress and prevent dandruff and hair loss.
Dandruff is a common problem in men and women of all ages, which can be bothersome. Hence, one feels the need to get rid of it as early as possible. Consult a dermatologist today to find the best treatment option for you.
Dandruff is not contagious. However, this can affect your self-confidence and interfere with your daily life. Various remedies will help get rid of dandruff forever. The remedies listed in this post are effective and have a low risk of causing side effects. For more information and the best treatment for dandruff, contact doctors at Hairsure clinic at +91-40- 42 02 02 02.