Hair fall in women has always been behind the scenes until the recent few years. Although hair fall has always been a part of women’s lives, hair loss and balding has mostly cropped in only at a later stage. However, times have changed now, and so has a lot of lifestyle practices that impact women in many ways. Hair loss and balding is one of these major conditions that women have been facing of late.
The general pattern of hair loss in women starts at the temples. It does not look like it is a concern, but gradually scales up to being quite evident. It is important for women to have a detailed medical understanding and guidance about this kind of pattern balding. When symptoms and medical records are properly presented, it helps medical professionals to plan the right hair loss treatment for women.
Why do women lose hair?
Hair loss in women is mostly caused due to genetic factors. It is known as androgenic alopecia, and is popularly known as female pattern baldness. What’s more important to know is that female pattern hair loss can be noticed at any age starting from puberty to 40 years of age. But, there are other major factors for androgenic alopecia apart from the genetic factor. So let’s take a quick look at these.
- After childbirth – It is usually temporary, but in some cases it can continue.
- Crash diets
- Psychological stress
- Anemia – Anemia is one of the most common causes of hair loss in women in India.
- Certain drugs and medications
- Skin diseases
- Excessive chemical treatment – If you get too many hair treatments such as rebonding straightening and hair colouring
- Polycystic Ovarian Disease (PCOD)
- Vitamin B12 and Vitamin D deficiency
- Hypervitaminosis of Vitamin A
Hair loss treatment for women
Hair loss treatment for women will primarily depend on the cause and must be discussed with a hair restoration expert. There are many non-surgical treatments to fight hair loss, but there’s still a myth that many have about Hair Transplant Surgery for Women. Hair Transplant Surgery has proven to be the most effective, and reliable hair loss treatment for women with excessive hair loss. For those who need not have surgical intervention, there are other alternatives which the doctors will recommend. Here’s a list of the most recommended medications used for hair loss treatment for women.
- Androgen receptors blockers for women
- Cyproterone acetate – This blocks the binding of DHT. Side effects- weight gain, breast tenderness, depression etc.
- Spironolactone – It is used to treat hypertension and stops the further progression of hair loss, no regrowth seen.
- Anti androgens – These are antifungal, antibiotic medicines which can be applied topically to the scalp. They help prevent hair loss and dandruff.
- Minoxidil (For Women) – Minoxidil is the first FDA approved topical lotion for hair regrowth, which can be used for both men and women, but in slightly different percentages. Usually 2% lotion is approved for women, but up to 5 % can be used on doctor’s advice.
If you’re looking for a treatment for your type of hair loss, call us now and walk in for a Visit. We can bring your hopes to reality at HairSure. You can speak to our experts and know more about hair loss treatment for women.